Whether you choose to whiten your teeth yourself, or have it professionally done by your dentist, there are some good reasons why teeth whitening is important. The teeth are not naturally white on their own, and how bright or white they are can vary a lot between people. For most people, the teeth continue to slowly yellow over time; and some habits can make it worse. Drinking coffee, cola, tea or red wine can turn the teeth darker and so can using tobacco products. There’s nothing wrong with wanting your teeth to be white again.
What are the benefits of teeth whitening?
The final result of teeth whitening can vary from one person to another. One reason might be the specific treatment used can bring about more dramatic results, or different teeth just react differently. There are a few benefits of having your teeth whitened including:
- Your teeth look and feel cleaner
- Your teeth have a whiter appearance
- Improving your self-image
- Improving your self confidence
- Makes you look younger
- Helps you make good first impressions
- Gets you ready for a special event
- Gives you a great looking smile
How can I prevent re-staining my teeth after they’ve been whitened?
Once you are done with a whitening treatment, there are some steps you can take to help preserve and maintain a whiter smile.
- Avoid foods and beverages that cause stains. Sugary drinks, including sports drinks, tea, red wine, coffee, tea, hard candy, tomato sauce and berries are all likely to cause your teeth to stain.
- Avoiding these can help you avoid teeth discoloration.
- Always use a straw. When you do drink beverages, using a straw can help keep the stain causing liquids away from the teeth and they are less likely to stain.
- Avoid all tobacco use. Smoking tobacco can discolor your teeth. Eliminate it if you want to keep your teeth looking bright and white.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing your teeth and using mouthwash can all help prevent your teeth from staining. Floss your teeth once a day to help remove plaque build-up.
- Eat certain foods. There are certain foods that can help clean the surfaces of your teeth and are beneficial to help fight harmful bacteria in the mouth. Include foods like pears, apples, celery, cucumbers and cauliflower to keep your teeth clean naturally.
- Use a whitening toothpaste. Use a toothpaste with whitening properties in conjunction with good oral hygiene habits. These toothpastes are specially formulated to remove stains from the surface of the teeth and keep them under control.
Talk to Your Dentist
Before beginning any type of teeth whitening process, always discuss it with your dental professional. They can recommend products which will work best for you and evaluate your teeth to ensure you are a candidate for specific types of teeth whitening treatments. They can suggest DIY products, or recommend in-office, professionally done teeth whitening. By consulting with your dentist first you ensure a successful experience.
Leave a Reply