Dental fillings help restore teeth damaged by decay back to their normal function. Fillings can also help to prevent further tooth decay. A number of factors are considered by a dentist when determining which type of filling material is best suited for a patient. These factors include the extent of the repair, where in your mouth the filling is needed and the cost.
What to Expect During A Dental Filling:
- A Local anesthesia can be given at the beginning of a filling procedure. This is used to help numb the area around the tooth.
- Tooth decay removal is performed by the dentist. They will cut through the enamel using a drill to remove any decay that they find. After the dentist removes the decay, they will shape the space to prepare it for the filling.
- Etching is required for a bonded filling. Your dentist will etch the tooth with an acid gel before placing the filling.
- Resin application is needed for certain types of fillings. Resin is layered and hardened using a bright light. This makes it strong.
- Polishing is completed after the filling has been placed.
If you have questions about dental fillings in Richmond Hill or dental procedures, contact us at ToothMatters! We are here to help improve your oral health care and provide you with your best possible smile!