Teething can be a painful process for both you and your baby! As a parent, we know that it can mean a lot of sleep deprivation! I had this experience personally with my son. It’s important to understand exactly what your child is going through. As a new parent, some things may alarm you at first, but they can be a normal part of the process. Here are 10 symptoms and signs of what your baby is feeling when they are teething:
- Irritation + Pain – a very common symptom!
- Sleepless Night – waking up in the middle of the night.
- No solid foods – their gums are tender and they will push this away!
- Biting – your child may start to bite anything in sight!
- Increased salivary flow/drooling – your child will produce more saliva when they are teething
- Rubbing their gums – sometimes this will help to alleviate the pain
- Ear Rubbing – common among teething babies
- Mild Fevers – this can happen during teething (but it’s not the cause!)
- Face Rashes
- Increased Sucking – can be on fingers, or random objects
Most teething babies will experience some of the symptoms above. You can use this as a guideline to help understand their behaviours. As a parent, apply gentle counter-pressure to sore gums or use a cold spoon to help ease the pain.
Please visit our dental office ToothMatters in Richmond Hill, to learn about check-ups for kids and to help educate parents, your dentist will have more advice and tips for you! For more tips click here.
– Dr. Richard Gao
I read a lot of problems for my child’s teeth to remedy.
My baby is 8 months old and just now his first bottom tooth poking through! He has been advancing quickly in the crawling/cruising arena, but his teeth are taking forever!